CHIEF DIRECTORATE: EXAMINATIONS AND ASSESSMENT
Steve Vukile Tshwete Complex, Zone 6 Zwelitsha, 5608, Private Bag X0032, Bisho, 5605 REPUBLIC OF SOUTH
AFRICA: Enquiries: Mr Z. Lolwana. Tel: 040 608 7067. Email: [email protected] Website: www.ecdoe.gov.za
ASSESSMENT INSTRUCTION 26 0F 2023 TO:
- DEPUTY DIRECTORS- GENERAL
- CHIEF DIRECTORS
- HEAD OFFICE DIRECTORS AND DISTRICT DIRECTORS
- CHIEF EDUCATION SPECIALISTS
- CIRCUIT MANAGERS
- DEPUTY CHIEF/SENIOR EDUCATION SPECIALISTS
- PRINCIPALS OF PUBLIC AND INDEPENDENT SCHOOLS (GRADES 10 -12)
- TEACHER UNIONS/TEACHER ORGANISATIONS
- SCHOOL GOVERNING BODIES DATE: 19 MAY 2023
2023 ADVERTISEMENT OF TEMPORARY POSTS OF EXAMINATION ASSISTANTS (EAs) FOR THE:
- NOV/DEC 2023 NATIONAL SENIOR CERTIFICATE (NSC) AND REMARKINGS
- CAPTURING CENTRES
- HEAD OFFICE EXAMINATIONS DEPOT
- 2024 MAY/JUNE NATIONAL SENIOR CERTIFICATE (NSC) & SENIOR CERTIFICATE (SC).
1. TEMPORAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Online applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for temporary positions as Examination Assistants (EAs) in the Nov/Dec 2023 National Senior
Certificate (NSC) and May/June 2024 Senior Certificate (SC) Examinations at Marking Centres, Capturing Centres and Head Office Examination Depot. A Link for the Online Application Form is attached together with guidelines on
how to complete and submit online as Annexure A. Applicants are required to carefully read all instructions contained in this form before filling in the online form.
2. DEFINITION OF AN EXAMINATION ASSISTANT
An Examination Assistant is a person who works for the Department of Education on a temporary capacity at Marking Centres, Capturing Centres and Head Office Depot where examination related work is performed.
3. CRITERIA FOR EMPLOYMENT AS AN EXAMINATION ASSISTANT
3.1. Persons eligible to be employed as Examination Assistants will be:
- Second Year Full-time students at Tertiary Institutions including TVET colleges must have passed Math at level 3 or Maths Literacy at level 4 and above.
- Unemployed graduates in possession of university degree or diploma may apply and are exempted from Maths or Maths Literacy as a requirement.
- Unemployed youth (holding a Matric Certificate) passed in 2021 and below and must have passed Maths at level 3 or Maths Literacy at level 4 and above.
- Applicants must be South African citizens and in possession of a green bar-coded on identity document/smart card.
- Applicants must be between 18 – 35 years of age.
THE FOLLOWING MUST BE NOTED
Applicants must not be in any form of employment for remuneration at the time of applying, including stipend received when in a learnership program or as an intern.
If you happen to be employed at the time of the commencement of the examination duties, kindly inform the Chief Directorate: Examinations and Assessment in writing, so that you are not considered for this temporary job.
An applicant must not be an educator or AET lecturer/tutor.
Applicants must not have worked as Examination Assistants in 2019 to 2021.
Applicants must be willing to perform reasonable manual tasks requested of them, such as carrying boxes/bins and tidying working areas, etc.
Applicants must select only one marking centre Applicants must have completed their examinations at tertiary institutions before the period of employment as an Examination Assistant commences.
All the applicants will apply online using the link and clear guidelines provided.
Applicants are expected to read carefully all the instructions given and follow then until the application forms has been submitted.
All applicants must make sure that all certified PDF copies of the relevant documents needed are available and ready as they must be uploaded into the online system.
Completed application must be submitted online with certified documents attached.
Certification must be done at SAPS only.
Please ensure that the provided contact numbers and emails are correct and up to date. The Department shall not take responsibility for the applicant’s unavailability if the contact numbers and email address provided are incorrect and or have subsequently changed or whatsoever.
Fraudulent information supplied on application form will lead to the applicant being disqualified.
4. APPOINTMENT PROCESS
Applicants who meet the requirements set out in the advertisement will be shortlisted.
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to undergo an online Competency Test in a specified date and time. Test will be administered online and will be opened and closed for a specific writing period only.
- Shortlisted candidates who will participate in the Online Competency Tests shall be telephonically contacted / SMSs/ EMAIL will be sent through the cell phone numbers and email provided. Please ensure that the correct cell phone numbers and emails are provided.
- The Department will not be liable/ not accommodate inconveniences caused by the loss of cell phone or change of the phone numbers or email or any other cause.
Only successful applicants will be contacted and informed of final employment.
5. SCOPE OF WORK OF AN EXAMINATION ASSISTANT
At the Marking Centre:
- To control scripts that have been received by Marking Centres.
- Control scripts that are issued to Chief Markers and are returned to the Control Room after marking.
- To carry bins from control room to chief marker control room also to centralized control room and marking venues.
- To check scripts that have been completely marked by markers by counting the ticks for each question on the answer book.
- To check that marks are correctly transferred from the marked pages of the script to the outside cover of the marked answer script.
- To check that the marks on the outside of the answer script are correctly tabulated and added.
- To check that the marks on the outside of the answer script are correctly transferred into the accompanying mark sheet.
- To sign on the script to indicate that the work has been completed accurately.
- To sign the accompanying mark sheet in the appropriate place, after it has been signed by one of the markers.
- To receive mark sheets from capturers; to sort them according to districts and centres; and to file them in subject boxes/files.
- To perform any other reasonable task, as may be allocated to him/her from time to time, by the management team/officials at a Marking Centre.
6. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT OF EXAMINATION ASSISTANT
- Examination Assistants at the Marking Centre will be managed by the Script Control Room Officer.
- Examination Assistants at the Marking Venues will be supervised by Chief Marker,
- DCM and Senior Markers.
- Examination Assistants at the Capturing Centre will be supervised by the Lead Capturer.
- No accommodation will be provided to Examination Assistants employed at any workstation.
- Examination Assistants employed at the Grade 12 NSC/SC; Marking Centres will be provided with morning and afternoon tea, lunch, and supper only. No breakfast will be provided.
- Working hours will be from 08h00 to 20h00 daily, from Monday to Sunday, including public holidays, unless the flow of work dictates otherwise.
- Payment is based on the hourly tariff as set out in the Personnel Administration Measures (PAM) document as amended.
- No overtime will be paid to Examination Assistants.
- No leave will be granted to any Examination Assistant during the course of the working session.
- No transport will be provided for Examination Assistants to and from their Marking Centres.
- Examination Assistants are to provide their own black pens, lead pencils, erasers, calculators, etc when they arrive at the Marking Centre workstation.
- Examination Assistants must be able to work under pressure and must be physically fit.
- Examination Assistants who were involved in irregularities will not be appointed during the 2023/24 marking cycle.
7. ESSENTIAL INFORMATION
Applicants will apply online.
- Applicants are required to select one Marking Centre per application form as expected and the system is programmed like that.
- No applications will be hand submitted/ courier/ or emailed to the district offices or head office.
- All processes will be done through the online system.
CLOSING DATE: FRIDAY 30 JUNE 2023 AT 16H00.
- A Competency Test will be written by shortlisted candidates only on the date to be communicated specifically to the shortlisted candidates.
- No sharing of competency test link by shortlisted candidates to unqualified candidates.
Successful applicants must bring a Completed bank form when they report for duty at the Marking Centre. The form will be emailed to applicants before the reporting date. Failure to do so may delay the appointment and remuneration process.
How To Apply:
Step 1: Visit www.constantlink.co.za
Step 2: Type your email address and click Get Passcode, to get your unique passcode, copy and paste in the box then click Validate to Login.
For more information Download Here