Learnership Metro Police, Traffic and Law Enforcement
Directorate: Corporate Services
Department: Human Resources
Stipend: Allowance of R68 461
REFERENCE NUMBER: SS 49/23 Ext
Internal & External
- Grade 12 qualification
- Must be deemed medically and physically fit (as per below requirements)
- Valid Code B Driving Licence
- Must be able to work in a team and cope with stressful situations
- No Criminal Record
- Applicants must permanently reside within the jurisdiction of Cape Town.
Note: All shortlisted candidates will be required to undertake and pass the following compulsory fitness test
- 2.4 km run (Males 12:30 minutes and Females 16:00 minutes)
- Push-ups (30 in 60 seconds)
- Sit-ups (30 in 60 seconds)
Note: Candidates will:
- Be required to pass a written assessment and an interview
- Candidates will be subject to the code of Conduct of the Metropolitan Police Training Academy, as well as the pass requirements stipulated by the Academy and in line with relevant unit standards
- Be contractually bound to refund the City following: unilateral withdrawal; failure to complete the course for disciplinary reasons or other.
Key Performance Areas:
- The City is embarking on a drive to train 1000 recruits on a 18 month fulltime Learnership Program in Road Traffic Law Enforcement and Metro Police. This forms part of the City of Cape Town’s commitment in addressing the high levels of unemployment in our youth, as well as providing the necessary opportunities for skills enhancement.
- Trainees must successfully complete the Further Education and Training Certificate: Road Traffic Law
- Enforcement as well as Law Enforcement Skills Program SP4/2012.
It must be emphasised there is no automatic guarantee of employment following the successful completion of the course.
Special conditions attached to the post:
The City is not obligated to offer a permanent position after completion of the training; candidates will be required to undergo extensive physical training, whilst at the Academy and training in accordance with the Firearm and Ammunitions Act.
- Successful candidates will be required to wear a uniform, work shifts and in all weather conditions
How To Apply
This skills development initiative is to provide training in Traffic Services and Metro Police. Once completed, the acquired skills will significantly enhance opportunities for employment in the Traffic, Law Enforcement and Metro Police Enforcement environment.
The City invites suitably qualified and unemployed youth aged 18-35, who meet the relevant minimum requirements for a learnership in Road Traffic Law Enforcement and Metro Police.
The training will be provided by the Metro Police Academy and the duration will be over a period of 18 months from 1 December 2023 until 31 May 2025.
By submitting your application for a position at the City of Cape Town, you are consenting that the personal information submitted as part of your application may be used for the purposes of the Recruitment and Selection process.
Please note that no hard copy or emailed applications will be accepted. In order to apply on-line, applicants must first create an e-Services Account on the City of Cape Town Website: www.capetown.gov.za
Applicants must apply on-line via eRecruitment on www.capetown.gov.za/careers
On-line applications must include the submission:
- A certified copy of your South African Identity Document (no affidavits will be accepted)
- Applicants may use any computer with internet access to apply. Smartphones are not compatible with this on- line application process and cannot be used to apply
Applicants may use a Smart Cape computer at a City of Cape Town Library if they are a library member. (To become a library member, you will need to apply for membership at a library with your ID and proof of residence.)
- Shortlisted candidates will be informed via SMS or telephonically when to report to the identified venue to complete the compulsory tests.
- Shortlisted candidates are advised to bring their own gear, food and refreshments to the testing venue.
- Only applicants with no criminal record and no pending criminal cases, awaiting trial and/ordrug free, will be considered for employment.
Closing Date: 21.07.2023
Please note that no late applications will be considered.
There should be no expectation of receiving a job offer by applying for, and subsequently being tested and found competent.
Canvassing by job applicants or, any other person on behalf of job applicants, for posts within the Council’s Service is prohibited and evidence thereof will disqualify the applicant’s application for consideration for appointment.
If appointed, candidates are required to make themselves available to work as they are rostered, and are not permitted to have other employment or run a private business whilst in the employ of the City without the City Manager’s written permission.
Random testing for possession and or consumption of drugs / alcohol/illegal substances may be carried out during the course of employment.