Job Title: Senior Civil Engineer x 3 (RAN231213-2) – Rand Water
Closing Date: 2023/12/29
Job Title: Senior Civil Engineer x 3
Portfolio: Bulk Water Services – Operations
Job Type Classification: Permanent
The successful candidate will assist the Civil Structures and Building Asset Manager with the management of the Civil Structures and Building category of assets, as part of the bulk water supply infrastructure. This individual is responsible for ensuring that these assets are specified, installed, operated and maintained in order to provide expected levels of service at minimum lifecycle cost.
- BSc.Eng/B.Eng in Civil Engineering Degree
- Professional Registration with the Engineering Council of SA (PrEng- Civil)
- 6-8 years applicable post graduate experience in structural design, management of water retaining structures and other civil engineering infrastructure in the water industry.
- Minimum 4 years in the design of water retaining structures and buildings.
- Proven Managerial skills
- Advantageous qualifications: Postgraduate qualification in Structural Engineering
Primary Duties (Senior)
- Lead and manage all activities of the section that will result in optimal lifecycle performance of the specific category of assets.
- Develop and maintain standards and strategies to optimize asset performance and availability, maintenance regimes, rates of deterioration, lifespan, etc.
- Provide and update plans and costs for the management of each civil asset and/or building asset, for incorporation into the integrated Asset Management Plan.
- Manage and lead the process relating to the development and improvement of standards and specifications for the civil and building asset category.
- Manage own staff and co-ordinate with other disciplines in:
- Condition assessment and performance measurement of assets to agreed standards and frequencies.
- Optimisation and audits of maintenance activities.
- Translation of findings from assessments into recommendations for projects and/or maintenance work.
- Manage, develop, specify and review improvements to design specifications, operating and maintenance regimes for all civil and building assets.
- Develop and continuously review rehabilitation and retrofitting designs for all civil and building assets.
- Review and recommend specification and design of new assets to ensure lifecycle performance is adequately addressed.
- Manage the development of staff by monitoring performance, coaching and mentoring, career path and succession planning.
- Initiate and lead asset management related projects.
- Direct and lead technical advances and use of best fit technology for the civil and building category of Assets
- Involvement in work where no clear precedents exist, and which requires going beyond existing parameters and adaptation of plans to fit the situation, always bearing in mind the initial specifications, and the underlying reason for them.
- May be required to provide technical advice/reports to management as well as operating, scientific and asset management areas of the business, on which Rand Water may base significant decisions.
- Create and encourage a culture of team work, and achievement, through the application of frequent feedback and communication with staff, and promote employment equity.
- Design of the asset category.
- Technical knowledge in the design of Civil structures and building assets.
- Specification governing the asset category.
- Understanding of the operation and maintenance governing the asset category.
- Financial and economic principles, including life cycle costing.
- Condition assessment and performance measurement techniques and evaluation.
- Asset rehabilitation technology.
- Principles of plant maintenance and reliability.
- Principles of asset management.
- Networking Skills
- Spatial analysis and interpretation.
- Decision making
- Planning and organising
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Conceptual thought and well developed analytical
- and coordinating skills
- People management
- Precise application of pre-defined Standards
- Punctuality and accuracy in the execution of projects
- Technical skill
- Report writing skill
- Communication skill
- Customer service
- Critical evaluation
- Problem solving
- Highly motivated and innovative
- Diligent and performance driven
- Results driven
- Participate effectively as a member of a team
For More Details: