If you wrote your matric twice, you have the chance to merge your two matric certificates to increase your chances of getting better job opportunities or further study opportunities here in South Africa (SA).
Since the Department of Basic Education (DBE) or Provincial Education Department (PED) does not automatically combine credits for students who wrote their exams in two sittings, you will have to apply to obtain a National Senior Certificate (NSC).
What Is A National Senior Certificate (NSC)?
National Senior Certificate is a qualification given to a student who completes high school education in South Africa (SA).
Conditions For Matric Certificate Combination
- A total of five subjects must be passed
- Only subjects that have been passed will be utilized
- Only one failed subject may be recognise
- Only Higher Grade subjects converted from a F to and E will be recognised
- Higher Grade subjects converted from a FF or G, will only be accepted if needed for the sixth subminimum subject
- In the case of converted subjects from Higher to Standard Grade, the certified mark will be used
- The six subjects with the highest marks will be used for combinations
In the case where two subjects have the same marks, the following protocol should be followed:
- In circumstances where Mathematics and Mathematical Literacy have the same mark, Mathematics will have preference
- The subminimum requirement of one subject obtained at 20% will apply to all candidates including those candidates requesting combinations
- An aggregate of 800 marks will only apply in the case of a combination of amended Senior Certificate subjects with previously offered Senior Certificate subjects and N3 Languages
How To Combine 2 Sittings Matric Certificate For NSC Certificate
You can apply at the nearest District with the following documents to combine 2 sittings matric certificate :
- A certified copy of your previous matric result statements.
- A certified copy of Identity your document (ID)
- The application combination form was obtained at any DBE/PED.
- If you decide to use the online service:
- First register at the Government Portal at www.eservices.gov.za and follow the process.
- Pay the required fee by postal order at the Post Office, cash at DBE/PED office, or by cheque with the following documents:
- Your results from all examination sittings
- The original identity document (ID) and a certified copy.
- The proof of payment for the postal order
- Alternatively, you can download the Replacement Certificate online: Change of Status if you use the online method.
Make sure to fill in the form with your details, and the details of the two matric certificates you want to combine.
Submit the form along with certified copies of your two matric certificates and a copy of your ID document to the DBE/PED in your province or post it with the attached documents including the postal order to Private Bag X895, Pretoria, 0001.
If you are using the online method, upload all the required documents using the PDF format.
How Long Does It Take To Combine Matric Certificates?
This may take between 4 to 6 weeks depending on the processing time of the DBE/PED. Once you have received your NSC certificate, you will be able to use it to apply for further education or employment opportunities.
How Much Does It Cost To Combine Matric Certificate?
The cost of combining 2 sittings matric certificates is R153.00, which is valid from 01 April 2022 until 31 March 2023, you can check back for updates or refer to the DBE or PED and verify.