Position: Graphic Designer (Auckland Park)
Division: SABC NEWS & CURRENT AFFAIRS
Reporting Line: Team Leader: Graphics & Weather
Position ID: 60020044
Scale code: 402
Location: Auckland Park
Main purpose of the position:
To plan, conceptualize and design graphics for TV News, Current Affairs and online news in order to illustrate and enhance the news story.
- Research graphics database for suitable reference.
- Research internet for suitable reference and adhering to copyright restrictions.
- Title each completed graphic correctly according to programme title and date
- Transfer graphics to server in correct folder for play out in studio
- Pay intense attention to detail and maintain a high standard of accuracy specially to spelling and numbers on templates
- Give feedback and hand over uncompleted matters to colleagues on next shift
- Prioritize and process requests according to deadlines and broadcasting schedule
- Design graphics within limitations of television format and house style rules
- Design graphics according to the look and feel for the specific bulletin or programme
- Design graphics of high standard and layout to enhance the news bulletins, and current affairs programmes and online news
- Explore and request informal “on-the-job” training on other graphic equipment
- Report faulty graphics equipment to technicians
- Report faulty printer and computer equipment to IT
- Embrace the implementation of new technology
- Keep abreast of technology changes and the possible impacts on graphic workflows
- Communicate with Programme Producers, Journalists, Technical Director’s and suggest creative ideas to best illustrate the story, e.g. map, graph, full screen etc
- Communicate effectively with clients and make meaningful suggestions for alternative graphic if no reference is available.
- Communicate effectively with clients regarding their requirements.
- Warn clients of copyright restrictions on reference retrieved from internet
- Ensure compliance with SABC policies and procedures.
- Adhere to the Broadcasting regulatory and policy provisions including but not limited to: Terms and Conditions in terms of creativity requirements
- Adherence to Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and monitor the implementation thereof
- Ensuring that all sensitive documents and or information are managed appropriately.
- Ensure that all correspondence to and from the GE: News & Current Affairs’ office is recorded and administered timeously as per expectations
- Implementing an effective document follow-up and/or tracking system.
- National Diploma (NQF 6) in Graphic Design, multimedia or relevant equivalent qualification
- 5 years’ experience in graphic design in Television broadcasting
- Must have an interest in News.
- Good knowledge of Adobe products and ability to design in more than one of the Adobe applications.
- Adhere to South Africa’s Constitution; all b roadcasting and other legislation; Icasa licence conditions and regulations; the BCCSA Code of Conduct and decisions; SABC Editorial Policies; SABC Radio News Style-guide; and high quality standards for Radio Current Affairs stories and programmes.
- Understanding of current developments and trends in the social, economic, political, media and Television broadcast environment
- Computer literate (Microsoft, ENPS, Adobe, the Internet etc.).
- Adhere to News Graphics SOP’s and standards, SABC rules and regulations and Copyright Act.
- Technical and digital recording, video editing, mixing and packaging skills.
- Planning and organisation.
CLOSING DATE: 06 September 2023